Opportunities > Federal Agencies & Employees > Federal Agencies

Federal Agencies

Federal agencies can promote American citizen employment in International Organizations by detailing or transferring their employees and funding Junior Professional Officer/Associate Expert programs.

How to Detail and Transfer

1.  Estimate agency costs

Prior to approving a request for transfer, agencies are encouraged to estimate all costs (financial and staffing) associated with the transfer.  Agencies also should determine, and document, which bureau, department, or office within the agency will be responsible for incurring such costs.

2.  Notify employees of their rights, benefits & responsibilities

At the time the detail or transfer is being negotiated, the agency must provide the employee with, in writing:

  • Notification of the start date and length of transfer;
  • Notification that during the transfer and the period for reemployment, he/she may retain retirement, life insurance, health benefits coverage, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP);
  • Notification of his/her right to designate a beneficiary or beneficiaries to receive money due;
  • Notification that the agency will pay directly the U.S. Governments contributions to the U.S. Federal Employee’s Retirement System (FERS), Federal Employee’s Group Life Insurance and Federal Employee’s Health Benefits Program, as well as any other costs the agency may be required, by law, to assume in the case of a U.S. Federal foreign or civil servant employee;
  • Summary of the conditions he/she must meet to maintain the above benefits, including a schedule of required payments;
  • Summary of the steps he/she must take to exercise his/her reemployment rights, including instructions to employee to apply for reemployment no later than 90 calendar days after separation from the international organization;
  • Summary statement of his/her leave account.

3.  Record approval of detail or transfer

The personnel action authorizing the detail or transfer should identify:

  • The international organization to which the employee transfers;
  • The legal and regulatory conditions of his/her reemployment; and
  • If on transfer, the period of time during which the employee has reemployment rights in the agency.

4.  Notify other offices of the approved detail or transfer

When a detail or transfer has been approved, the officer's agency (normally the Human Resources Office) should notify other responsible departments, bureaus, and other offices of the detail or transfer.  These should include those offices dealing with:

  • Records Management (Official Personnel File)
  • Payroll
  • Allowances & Benefits (health/life)
  • Reemployment

5.  Maintain a tickler file on each employee going on detail or transfer

6.  Respond by the due date to our annual Survey of Federal Employees Detailed or Transferred to International Organizations, which is usually sent out in June.

We encourage you to keep a copy of the Request for Information Memo and survey spreadsheet in your ticker file.  Filling out the survey sheet as transferees/detailees come about should make submitting the report much easier and accurate.  Should you have any questions regarding this survey, please contact us.

Junior Professional Officer (JPO) and Associate Expert (AE) Programs

U.S. federal government agencies are able to sponsor young professional U.S. citizens to work for international organizations through the Junior Professional Officer and Associate Expert Programs.  These programs are a great way to support the development of staff in international organizations that are critical partners for many national initiatives.  Federal agencies can sponsor JPOs/AEs to any international organization that the U.S. government currently holds a signed Memorandum of Understanding agreement.  Please visit our JPO/AE page for more information about current U.S. government agreements with IOs.  If you are interested in starting a JPO/AE program with an organization that is not on our list please contact us for more information.